Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The tooth has left the building...

... and I am not quite sure what to do with myself. Yes, I realize that Ana, at an almost whopping 6-years-old, still has 20-some teeth left to go, but still, one is now officially gone and we all know what that means... my niece - my baby - is not really a baby anymore. I suppose I should have figured this out a few months ago. Trust me, there have been LOTS of clues. Like when over dinner, before the wedding, she asked me very seriously if Trevor and I were in love. Or when she read "Hop on Pop" to me all by herself. And of course there was the time a couple of weeks ago when she noted that one of the gymnasts on the U.S. Olympic men's gymnast team was "cute." Yet, somehow, someway, it is this picture my sister sent me that has thrust me into the reality of it all - Ana Banana of the Deep Blue Sea is growing up, whether I like it or not, and she has a gaping hole in her mouth to prove it. I can do this, I really can. After all, I wouldn't change one single second of all the major "Ana changes" over the last six years. From the walking to the talking, from the singing to the dancing, and from the arrival of teeth to the loss of teeth, not much else in life has brought me as much joy as being able to witness all of these milestones in my niece's life. So, here's to the next six years, and the next six years after that, and the next six years after that, and well, you get the point... may ALL of the next years be as fun and as full of laughter as the first six have been. 

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That is a fantastic space left in her mouth if I ever saw one. I don't think I have ever seen a space-where-a-tooth-use-to-be look so good. Congrats on a milestone Miss Ana.